Liquid nitrogen storage tank is usually provided by nitrogen gas supplier. It is installed at customer site. Commonly, customer only needs to pay monthly fee for liquid nitrogen storage tank including evaporator, piping and other accessories.
Nitrogen gas suppliers will also give their customers free service for preventive maintenance or repair for the liquid nitrogen storage tank and its related facilities. So, customer will be spoiled with this service.
However, there are negative impacts of this condition. Customers become having less awareness against this facility that is installed at their sites. They do not take adequate efforts to maintain liquid nitrogen storage tank.
If there is liquid nitrogen storage tank in your chemical factory or site, then you have to pay attention on the following things in order to manage it better in the frame of safety, quality, supply reliability and so on.
10 Things You Should Know About Liquid Nitrogen Storage Tank
1. Nitrogen is an inert gas and can replace oxygen in the air. So, never install and use liquid nitrogen storage tank in an enclosed area. It must be stored in a fully ventilated area.
2. Always ensure that all safety valves or relief valves in good condition. They could prevent the liquid nitrogen storage tank from over pressure and explosion.
3. Nitrogen is a cryogenic liquid and stored in vacuum insulated tank. Protect liquid nitrogen storage tank from corrosive environment in order to avoid corrosion on the outer part of it.
4. Regular inspection and maintenance of liquid nitrogen storage tank are very crucial. Consult with your nitrogen gas supplier who already installed the tank in your site. They know about that tank better than you.
5. Follow local regulation that is applicable for liquid nitrogen storage tank. Some regulations may require liquid nitrogen facility to be fully fenced with one access gate only.
6. If you plan to install new liquid nitrogen storage tank, ensure that it will be installed in an area with enough space for tank lorry movement for refilling purpose. Tank lorry is commonly used to delivered liquid nitrogen by producer to several customers at the same day.
7. Never over filling liquid nitrogen storage tank. It had better to indicate on the liquid level gauge a minimum and maximum level as a guidance for refilling and reordering.
9. Never allow liquid level inside the tank less than 5 inch. This is very important to keep vacuum level of the insulated tank.
10. It is very important to indicate valve position whether it is opened or closed. Use clear tag for this purpose. Provide complete P&ID on the tank and clear instruction on what to do when trouble occurs.