If we mistake to judge this, then employees may be in danger and possible to get hurt even they already wear safety shoes.
According to my own experiences, my employer replaces safety shoes for the employees once per year. This regulation has many deficiencies due to not enough considerations.
How Often Should Safety Shoes Be Replaced? The Correct Considerations
Each working environment will require different type of safety shoes. This is the first principle to understand. If we still provide same type of safety shoes for all of the employees, correct it first.
As an example, a worker who works in chemical filling station should wear more durable safety shoes that a warehouse officer.
So, by considering each work environment we will be able to set up how often safety shoes should be replaced. If we take the above case as an example, safety shoes for site worker may needs to be replaced once a year or less. Meanwhile, for warehouse officer his safety shoes can be used for 1.5 year.
However, safety shoes should be replaced immediately when there is an obvious physical damage.
The following tips are a basic guide to how ofter safety shoes should be replaced:
- According to Fawn Evenson, American Apparel and Footware Association President, the rule of thumb for replacing safety shoes: “If there’s any question that the shoe can no longer do what it was intended to do, then you should dispose of it.”
- Safety shoes should be replaced when something heavy has dropped on it, even though only small impact is observed.
- Steel toe cap with dented steel cap should replaced.
- Replacement is necessary when steel toe, steel midsole, steel shank or metatarsal guard is showing.
- For chemical resistant or waterproof safety shoes, replacement should be made if there is any separation found in rubber/PVC part, foxing, outsole or toe cover.
- Worn smooth of the safety shoe’s tread is a sign of slip-resistant problem. It is the time for replacing it.
- Safety shoes leaking can happen if there is a cut, puncture or crack on it. Provide new pair or safety shoes immediately.
When new safety shoes are provided, dispose damage safety shoes at the same time. Based on my experiences, employees will try to use their damage safety shoes rather than using their new shoes because they want to keep new safety shoes longer.
There is no exact answer for the question of how often safety shoes should be replaced. Many things needs to be considered to decide the perfect time for replacing safety shoes.